Thursday, February 21, 2013

An Age of Conformity










Very few things are unique in society today. One would think the influence of globalization would bring new ideas to foreign places, but instead, we've all become the same. We all listen to the same music, wear the same clothes, have the same hairstyles, frequent the same websites, play the same games, and watch the same shows. Well, I'm bored. Where's the excitement in an environment where everything sounds, looks and feels the same?

It is human nature to want to belong. But why does "belonging" have to mean "assimilating"? Our differences make us who we are. And while most of us claim to value uniqueness and individuality, we really don't. Because while we might praise these traits in others, it scares us to venture outside the communal comfort zone. We don't want to bare all and show the world who we are without at least a small group of similar characters to fall back on.

To be perfectly honest with you, I have a difficult time recognizing my peers because I often can't tell them apart in any significant way. I know this makes me sound cold and uncaring, but I believe it to be very telling about the typical young woman today: she's a wallflower. No, this doesn't mean she's a nerd or antisocial. In fact, the typical wallflower is neither of these things, but she fades into the background simply because she does not dare to be different. This leaves me wondering: If memorability is a networking advantage, why are most of my peers quite forgettable?

In fact, I've known some peers who actually go to extra lengths to make themselves forgettable, such as dying their attention-grabbing red hair to a generic brown tone. I love that I (according to some of my LIM professors) am "branding" myself with my striking gingerness and quirky headwear. It excites me when important fashion contacts remember me from past experiences. I don't know why anyone would give up that reaction to simply fit in.

I wish we didn't live in an age of conformity. But, then I ask myself: Without conformity, would there be individuality? I conjure up an image of Lincoln Center during NYFW. It's filled with fashion bloggers, each in an outfit more eccentric than the next. Yet, I was left feeling that their eccentricity was fraudulent. Because no one is unique when everyone else is. On the other hand, simply sitting on a New York City subway post-rush hour will give you an idea what complete individuality looks like - and remind you why you love this place so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment