Friday, April 12, 2013

Spring Fashion Fever


http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/willow/cantaloupe-info0.gifThere's something about the start of spring that evokes a feeling of rebirth and freshness. I was taking a stroll around midtown Manhattan on one of those first spring days, enjoying the first fresh cantaloupe of the season. While I was already optimistically dressed in a summer-appropriate ensemble, I became inspired to truly reinvent my look this season. Each spring, we go cleaning and shopping, each experiencing a sort of personal renaissance. 
http://www.shadestation.co.uk/style-blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Untitled-2.jpgInspired to make a change, I naturally turned to shopping. After checking out the new spring trends at influential department stores Saks Fifth Avenue and Barneys New York, I was enthusiastic to adopt some of my favorites. I was also becoming frustrated by my purple Pucci prescription  sunglasses, which were missing a piece and had an outdated prescription. I popped into a local optical store and tried out quite a few pairs that I'm enthusiastic about. However, if I'm going to spend $300-600 on designer frames, I can't have any doubts, so I'm going with my mother over the weekend for a second opinion on my selections.

http://www.christalhairproducts.net/666_500_csupload_41311726.jpg?u=3636923824 Although this major purchase is fairly necessary, I happen to be a broke college student, so I can't exactly buy myself a whole new wardrobe. Throughout the last year, I've been much more cautious in my shopping decisions. It's an understatement to say I have a large quantity of clothes and accessories and, considering space is a commodity in New York City, I've begun to favor quality over quantity in terms of my fashion choices. If I don't truly love it, I won't buy it. For example, during the beauty sample sale at Marie Claire magazine (where I intern), I didn't make a single purchase because everything I liked was too similar  to something I already have. Although I am more focused on quality products, I have also become savvier at finding deals. New York City is a great place to find sample sales and deals at discount retailers, but the internet is also an invaluable resource. I frequent flash sale sites, where my most recent purchase was a pair of classic yet sexy black Vince Camuto boots for under $100. It's hard to resist a rare find at any price, such as the British fascinators I uncovered at the Brooklyn flea market next weekend.  So get creative: refresh your wardrobe with unique, high-quality products that will perfectly supplement your wardrobe and fit comfortably within your budget.


No comments:

Post a Comment